News Release Day: February 14, 2020
Contact: Morgan Warthin, (307) 344-2015
MAMMOTH Hot SPRINGS, WY – The Countrywide Park Services seeks public remark on a proposal to change the Yellowstone River Bridge in Yellowstone Nationwide Park. The bridge is located on the Northeast Entrance Highway around Tower Junction.
This project will manage safe visitor entry from the park’s Northeast Entrance since the bridge is portion of the only road corridor in the park that is open up year-spherical and plowed in the winter. Created in the early 1960s, the concrete deck, sidewalks, and parapets have deteriorated.
The Environmental Evaluation (EA) analyzes impacts to geothermal assets, visitor knowledge, vegetation, and wetlands in the venture location. The EA evaluates three alternate options.
- In Different A (no action), the bridge would keep on being in its present situation.
- Choice B (the desired option) would substitute the bridge with a bigger 1,200-foot-lengthy bridge about 500 ft south of its current spot. 1 mile of new road would be created to line up with the new bridge spot. Next design, the existing bridge and somewhere around 1.5 miles of existing road would be eliminated, and the area restored.
- Substitute C would involve building of a new bridge immediately adjacent to and marginally north of the existing bridge. Pursuing development, the existing one would be removed. The new bridge would be about 600 ft long and the highway that methods the bridge would be moved north.
- Alternative B and C would reconstruct and widen the 24-foot-large bridge to a 30-foot paved width. In addition, 1-1.5 miles of street from Tower Junction to the Yellowstone River Picnic Spot will also be widened to a 30-foot width. Both of those possibilities would reconfigure and grow the Yellowstone River Picnic Area and strengthen turnouts for automobiles together the road.
Design would start out in the summer or tumble of 2022 and will carry on as a result of 2024, based on funding availability.
If the proposed challenge is implemented, building delays would differ by choice. This could range from no delays to up to 30 minutes with occasional two to 4-hour delays. There may be short-term closures, together with regular nighttime closures, relying on the different. The public would be notified of closures in advance if they occur.
Reviews must be obtained by March 15, 2020. Remarks may well be submitted on the web at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/yrb, by hand-delivery, or by mail. Responses will not be accepted by fax, email, or by any other suggests.
Hand-produce feedback during business hours to: Albright Visitor Middle, Notice: Yellowstone River Bridge Substitution, Mammoth Sizzling Springs, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming 82190.
Mail feedback to: Compliance Place of work, Focus: Yellowstone River Bridge Replacement, P.O. Box 168, Yellowstone Countrywide Park, Wyoming 82190.
Community Remark Concerns
- Bulk responses in any format submitted on behalf of other individuals will not be accepted.
- In advance of including your deal with, cellular phone quantity, email, or other particular information and facts, be mindful that your full comment – together with your personally identifiable information – may possibly be produced public at any time. You could inquire us to withhold your personally identifiable information and facts from general public assessment, but we cannot ensure that we will be equipped to do so.
- The proposed undertaking is an enterprise as outlined below Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) (36 CFR § 800). We welcome opinions about historic attributes or other cultural resources that tumble within just the task spot.
The park is also completing compliance with Area 106 of the Nationwide Historic Preservation Act for this venture and is consulting with the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Business office on the proposed design and style.
Editor’s take note: Find photos of the bridge on Flickr.