Date: June 2, 2020
Contact: Gina Kerzman, 406-888-5838
West Glacier, MT [June 2, 2020]– Pursuing guidance from the White House, Facilities for Condition Management and Prevention (CDC), and condition and community public health authorities, Glacier National Park is rising recreational entry and products and services on a minimal basis on June 8. The park has been closed to site visitors since March 24, 2020, because of to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Glacier released their phased reopening prepare last 7 days. This limited opening approach will allow for the park to keep on coordinating with the Blackfeet Tribe when they manage limitations through June 30, assistance the park and inside organization associates boost and refine mitigation actions with lighter stages of visitation, and make it possible for for an evaluation of how returning website visitors have an effect on COVID-19 curves within encompassing gateway communities.
“We recognize the economic worth that Glacier has to our gateway communities,” mentioned Superintendent Jeff Mow. “Our aim is to little by little give customer obtain and to mitigate for and answer swiftly to any new bacterial infections need to they take place.”
The park’s reopening priorities middle on defending the public and employees from transmission challenges by way of a selection of mitigation steps regular with nearby, state, tribal, and federal advice. The park will actively monitor modifying disorders (in the park and in bordering counties) and will keep adaptability to expand, adjust, or contract operations as ailments warrant.
The park has created a variety of mitigation steps that involve: delivering protective limitations wherever required, encouraging the use of masks or facial coverings when social distancing cannot be taken care of, expanding cleaning frequency of services, incorporating signage on boardwalks and other public spaces, and messaging to site visitors through a wide range of approaches.
What will be open up beginning June 8?
- On Monday, June 8 the park will open up the west gate entrance at West Glacier. The gate will be open up till 4:30 pm each individual day until finally operations are prolonged.
- Site visitors will be capable to obtain Apgar and Going-to-the-Sunlight Road as significantly as Lake McDonald Lodge.
- Likely-to-the-Sunlight will open to hiker/biker site visitors as ailments permit. Check out the park internet site for updates.
- Site visitors will be ready to obtain restrooms and trails that are obtainable from open park streets.
- Private firms in Apgar Village may well decide to operate.
- The park is concentrating on to have personalized boating on Lake McDonald and aquatic invasive species inspection stations open up. Examine the park internet site for updates.
What will keep on being closed until later on phases of the system?
- East entrances from the Blackfeet Reservation will remain shut. The park is consulting with the Blackfeet Tribal Enterprise Council to establish reopening dates for entrances from the reservation.
- Visitor Facilities and Ranger Stations will keep on being shut right up until afterwards in the time.
- Right away accommodations will be unavailable until eventually later in the season.
- Campgrounds, backcountry permits, extra suppliers, expanded excursions, takeout foods services, and customer centers will stay closed. These companies and/or services will open up when protected and proper mitigation actions are in position.
- Lodges, complete-assistance eating, professional tour buses, and ranger systems will keep on being shut. These solutions and/or amenities will reopen when well being disorders let.
- Visitor Transportation Assistance (shuttles) will not be presented this time due to social distancing prerequisites in in accordance with Center for Illness advice on transit.
Site visitors must occur organized and abide by all CDC and nearby well being advice by working towards very good hygiene and social distancing. Experience coverings are advisable the place social distancing is not feasible. Men and women who are ill ought to keep residence and not check out the park. The CDC has presented distinct steerage on browsing parks and leisure facilities.
“We are energized to have readers return to Glacier Nationwide Park, but it’s critical that our readers help us reduce the unfold of COVID-19 by practicing social distancing from fellow guests and our staff members,” reported Superintendent Jeff Mow. “We all have a part to enjoy in shielding our people and pals.”
Beforehand-scheduled road building assignments on each sides of the park will carry on in the spring and summer. Quite a few spots of the park are nonetheless experiencing winter ailments and plowing is in development on Likely-to-the-Sun Street. As in earlier a long time, Going-to-the-Sun Highway about Logan Go is expected to open in late June.
The park will present information and updates for operations as they adjust on https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm and on the park’s social media channels. Updates about NPS operations will be posted on www.nps.gov/coronavirus.